Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Judged and sentenced

Today when out and about I saw a woman walking wobblingly down the street. As I got closer to her it became obvious to be she was a working girl and wasted. She was thin and gaunt too, which also suggested drug addiction or heroine abuse. I felt so sad for her. But what made me almost more sad was seeing the way other people were looking at her, with disgust and judgement.
Most likely she didn't choose this life, and what a horrible life it is. and now was stuck it in with no easy was out. Once in a world of addictive and addicts it's hard to claw your way out without the support of others around her.
I smiled at her, and she smiled back. I wanted show her that kindness from strangers was possible. That unlike other people I thought she was worthy of more than a cold stare.
The world when it is like this makes me sad.
I seem to be a bit of a "freak" or lost person magnet. I guess they see that I'm an unthreatning person who will smile that them. And most of time I find these people just want a bit of chat, a bit of time and a bit of kindness. And quite often I get something out of it too.
I wish we lived in a world that felt this more so, as perhaps there would be less troubled and lost people. Or at least they wouldn't feel so alone.

12 comments:

m.e (Cathie) said...

that is just such a you post Jess, I love it!
never judge someone until you have walked in their shoes alright!
I wish we lived in such a world but unfortunately we don't & the best we can do is smile & say a few nice words to make someone else forget their problems even if for a minute.

hugs Miss Jess, missing you ♥

Jennifer Rydell@Plushpussycat said...

Lovely post! I love what you say about her not choosing that life for herself. Yes, a kinder world would be such a nicer world! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Lola Nova said...

Thanks for posting this. Had an experience recently that made me feel just like you wrote.
Kindness and compassion are really so little to give, and it comes back to you in the most unexpected ways.

xo

Miss Muggins said...

Oh Jess, how can such a big heart dwell in such a tiny person? Your compassion and generousity of spirit are inspiring xx

Jennie said...

Its not fair what life deals to some people. I hope that your smile helped her on her way. I think it would have.XX

Vic said...

You. Are awesome. xx

Selina said...

You are just the most beautiful person Jess. You really are. We need more Jess's in the world and less judgement. Love your guts, xx

Kellie said...

Such a beautiful wish Jess. The world would be all the better for a little bit more kindness.

Lauren said...

You're lovely, Jess. I wholeheartedly agree with you and wish there was just a little more kindness in this world. xx

Kylie said...

I am right there with you Jess. I do the same and feel the same. I really don't understand black+white people. There are so many shades of grey in this world. Good on you. Kx

Beck said...

Someone said to me recently that no one sets out to have a crap life, and for some reason those words have really stuck with me. Like you I smile at most people I pass and I also try not to judge. Who knows what has happened in someone else's life? Keep smiling Jess, keep giving some of your gorgeous self to others, you have a beautiful heart xo

Lydia W said...

If you like to read, try "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts" by Gabor Mate to understand more about addiction, homelessness and prostitition.